Tuesday 27 July 2010

Guanajuato

After an educating and relaxing weekend in Aguascalientes, I am on the road again for the second half of my Mexican adventure. Thanks to tons of tips and ideas from my friend, I will not be bored and am sure I will get along fine.

Today I discovered the old mining town of Guanajuato, which is a maze of little streets, stairs, underground streets and coloured houses. I started the day with a beautiful breakfast : most Mexican food does not only taste interestingly, it also is arranged to look good and the colours alone water your mouth. After a breakfast like this I don't need any food until the evening.

Then I walked along the northern part of the center, past the university, to the Alhóndiga de Granaditas, a local monument from the fight for independence. A local hero connected with this place is José Martinez, called Pìpila, from whose monument high above the city you have a great view.

Unfortunately, either my computer or the Internet connection don't allow me do upload  any more pictures, so I must continue without them. You can walk up from the city center to the monument of El Pìpila, but there is also a cable car, which I took. When I came down again, there was a film crew near the Teatro de Juárez making the same 20 people walk across the same square for 100 times, so I went to the Museo Iconográfico de Quijote, which has a collection of pictures and other pieces of art inspired by the novel by Cervantes. Every year in October this city hosts the Cervantes Festival with music and theatre performances.

Speaking of music... near the central Jardín de la Union you can find groups of young men who play instruments and sing, they are called Estudiantinas and you can hire them to play a serenada for the girl you love. Or on Mother's Day for your mom... They look great in their traditional suits and, well.... who is going to pay for a serenada for me ? Nobody? Well, then I will get my own ticket for a nightly tour around the little Callejones with them !!

No comments:

Post a Comment