Saturday 23 January 2010

Jackie is on Twitter

I have thought for a long time if I should post this, but then, why not? Jackie Chan is on Twitter and the fans are going wild. News from him around the clock. WOW !!!!!!

Hmm, I must admit, I am not that enthusiastic. Yes, it is amazing that this man, who a few years ago said of himself that he was a computer "illiterate", now posts something by phone or computer or however. But, well, do I really want to know what he is doing every minute of his day ? It might be cute or wonderful for other people, it is not really for me.

Because, what are the Twitter "news" ? Short sentences, little snippets of trivia - let's face it, how many interesting things happen to you in one day ? If I was on Twitter, it would be "Just cleaned the kitchen," or "School was tiring," or "Auntie rang," or things like that. Does the world really need this avalanche of information? I don't think it does, so I am not on Twitter.

In a way Twitter is typical of our times. Fast information, quick to digest, nothing that really matters - and then move on. No pondering, reflecting, philosophizing. No need to really think about the words you use, to carefully select and re-write to get the best effect. It is like fast food - convenient, fast and tasteless - as opposed to cooking yourself with fresh ingredients, which makes you feel a lot more satisfied on so many levels, not only as far as filling the hole in your stomach is concerned. And we all know that fast food leaves you hungry in the end, craving for more. Twitter has the same effect, at least on me.

To be fair, it can be fun to get quick information and convenient to grab a burger when there is no time. But I also need more substantial food - and more substantial pieces of writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment