Saturday 1 May 2010

Cave Woman


Last weekend my computer crashed - first I thought it was only the system that had been affected by a virus, but in the end it was the hard drive that was broken and had to be substituted by a new one. On Sunday morning it ceased to function, on Tuesday evening I was reconnected to the world. THREE WHOLE DAYS without computer !!!!!!

To give you the good news first, I had done a backup of my files on Saturday morning, so in the end only one school worksheet and five photos were lost. But I found it amazing, how handicapped I felt without my computer. To mention just a few things:

- I had to write an important letter
- I had to design a test for my 5th year English group
- I wanted to work on some more writing
- I wanted to upload and send away some photos I had taken that day
- I needed some information for my lessons
- I could not talk to my friends around the world

I had to go down on my knees to beg my son to allow me to use his computer for five minutes for two emails, one professional and one private one. Reluctantly he let me approach his precious machine for five minutes, standing next to me counting the seconds and suspiciously viewing my every move. After all, my role in this household is that of the computer idiot and I probably had done something that caused the hard drive to break. I could also do some things at school on Monday and Tuesday afternoon, but that meant I had to stay in school longer on days with an already very busy schedule.

So, the computer makes my professional life a lot easier. But what I missed most were the conversations with my online friends - sure, we could exchange emails, and those are faster than the old, pre-Internet method, but still, I have so gotten used to a little chat here and there with someone on the other side of the globe.

Well, in the end I could leave the age of smoke signals and was reconnected to the world again. But it makes me wonder, what would happen, if by some disaster we were thrown back to an age without electricity and gadgets that pass a message around the world at the click of a button...

PS:
I have to add that after my son had built in the new hard drive, I was able to set up everything that was needed, but had problems with my old monitor. I asked my son to help me and that caused him to raise eyes to the sky and declare mothers the most annoying people on this planet. I pointed out to him that his annoying mother was paying for the new brakes for his car... it turned out to be a convincing argument...

1 comment:

  1. I've thought the same thing--what if we lost our ability to access computers and such.

    I hope you're doing well. I posted a note on realage.

    Jill

    ReplyDelete