Friday 19 March 2010

About a real man

What is a real man ? Apart from the obvious biological differences - what makes a man a man ?

A few months ago I was on a sailing trip with a group of 18/19-year-old students . On the first evening the chores on the ship had to be organized. One young man, very masculine appearance, made it very clear that he would do a lot of things but not clean the toilets. In his opinion a real man did not clean toilets. In fact, he refused to do anything that made it necessary for him to let his hands touch water. A real man is allergic to water !?

Another young man was (well, still is) a completely different type and a lot calmer. But in his quiet and modest way he made a deep impression on me. For example, he quickly learned how to steer the ship, and he was so good at it that the captain called him whenever things got complicated. One morning I got my chance at the wheel and I made a real mess at first, until this student came and stood next to me for about an hour, quietly explaining and giving tips. Suddenly he was gone and that meant he felt I could cope on my own.

Now, who is a "real man" ... someone who does not clean toilets or someone who can steer a big sailing ship with 25 people on board safely into the harbour ?

4 comments:

  1. So.. Did you manage it finally?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steering a bit sailing ship is not easy, the wind and the waves have to be considered, too. After an hour of practising, I managed well enough for the captain to let me continue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) So the "second" one could be thought as a MAN in your eyes? :-P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I think it is obvious ... :)

    ReplyDelete